Saturday, April 30, 2011

May Day Mysteries: Crime Fiction

"What potent blood hath modest May."- Ralph W. Emerson

For the past few years, I've posted a list of May Day Mysteries, and I'm updating the entries here. I love May Day with its Morris Dancing and the Maypole, all dating back to more pagan Celtic times. And, although May may seem idyllic with its flowers and showers, it can actually be murderous! Later this month, I will also have an updated list of Mother's Day mysteries which, of course, takes place in May.

I've expanded the list this year to include a few other May mysteries, not just May Day Mysteries. Let me know if I've forgotten any titles. Be sure and check out the Morris Dancing Mysteries at the end of the list.

MAY DAY MYSTERIES

Five Days in May by Paul Eiseman
30 Days in May by Wayne Hancock
Five Days in May by Christopher Hartpence
Seven Days in May by Fletcher Knebel
May Day by Jess Lourey
May Might Mean Murder by Bill McGrath 
May Day in Magadan by Anthony Olcott
The Merry Month of May by Elvi Rhodes
A Hot Day in May by Julian Jay Savarin
The May Day Murders by Scott Wittenburg

For over 30 years at dawn on May Day, Berkeley Morris Dancing takes place at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park. The Berkeley Morris Dancers will also perform at the University of California Botanical Garden (12 noon) May 1. Check for Morris Dancing in your area.

Morris Dancing Mysteries

Death of a Fool by Ngaio Marsh
Dead Men's Morris by Gladys Mitchell 
The Death-Cap Dancers by Gladys Mitchell

I met someone at Malice yesterday who has Morris Dancing in her mystery. Can't seem to find the title, so any help would be great. I'll go through my voluminous amount of postcards and bookmarks. I know I made a note.

No comments: